The Waiting Room 3hrs+ Christmas Eve Best Of 2008 Round-Up Show
This Wednesday 24th December (Christmas Eve, naturellement), at or around abouts 10pm GMT (USA: 2pm PST + 3pm MST + 4pm CST + 5pm EST; Europe: 11pm CET), splashed all over the interwaves via the usual birdshit splatter pattern, for your listening consideration, will be The Waiting Room Christmas Eve 3hr Best Of 2008 Round-Up Show.
On this very (quite, in this case, literally) Eve we, one half of Drunk Country & The Woman of The House, will be dishing out thoughtfully considered Gold Guitar Pick of Excellence ‘Awards’* to the lucky Nominee(s) what is found to be the Best Of in their particular category.
It’s almost like a real end of year music award’s show but with less drinking & no Gallagher brothers.
Below, then, is the list of Categories & Nominees, 34 Artistes + 34 Songs. We have rather cruelly (although this is clearly a cynical attempt at injecting some tension into the proceedings) refrained from listing the Nominees in the last 2 Categories. Those will be revealed on the night. Mwah, I believe, Ha Ha, indeed, Ha.
So, there you go. This took us AGES to compile from thousands of songs listened to & playlisted over the whole of this past year. *PHEW* just does not cut it. 2008 was simply awash with brilliance, surprises, genius & plain old breathtaking musicalisation. Oh, & singing.
The list, then:
Best “What The Fuck Was That?!”
1) Celebrity Chimp – Celebrity Chimp
2) The Just Joans – Hey Boy… You’re Oh So Sensitive
3) Aidan John Moffat – Cunts
4) Eagleowl – Motherfucker
5) The Theatre Fire – Coyote
6) Joe Rodger & The Velcro Quartet – Suddenly They Realised…
Best Cover Versions
1) Robin Grey – There’s A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He’s Elvis (Kirsty MacColl cover)
2) Erlend Ropstad – 7 (Prince cover)
3) The Miserable Rich – Over & Over (Hot Chip cover)
4) Taken By Trees – Sweet Child O’ Mine (Guns ‘n’ Roses cover)
Best Contenders for a Bond Theme
1) Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan – Come On Over (Turn Me On)
2) The Last Shadow Puppets – In My Room
3) Get Well Soon – You/Aurora/You/Seaside
4) Hour Of The Shipwreck – Unclouded Eyes
Best Emotional Blackmail
1) Porlolo – Turning On Heels
2) Samantha Crain & The Midnight Shivers – Beloved, We Have Expired
3) The Dø – Stay (Just A Little Bit More)
4) Meaghan Smith – 5 More Minutes
5) Ane Brun – Don’t Leave
6) Plants & Animals – Bye Bye Bye
Best Pound Down The Back of The Sofa
Nominees 1-8 = a big fat question mark
Best Song of 2008
Nominees 1-6 = a bigger, fatter question mark
The podcast will be available, as we say, sometime tomorrow around 10pm (we have very limited access where we are headed for the holidays, so bear with us).
It remains only for us to wish every one of you all the very best this Christmas holiday & to remind you that our 3hr New Year’s Eve 2008 Jukebox show will be on (just like the title reads) Wednesday 31st December, from 10pm-1am GMT. See the New Year in with us, why don’t you? (Yah, fucking right…).
Thanks for tuning in & listening. It’s been a heck of a year.
MC & a HNY,
½DC + TWoTH
*when we say ‘Awards’, what we really mean is we will email a picture of a solid Gold Guitar Pick of Excellence – we’re not that unhinged that we’d actually fork out for 6 solid gold plectrums. Jesus, no.More: aidan john moffat, ane brun, celebrity chimp, eagleowl, erlend ropstad, get well soon, hour of the shipwreck, isobel campbell, just joans, last shadow puppets, mark lanegan, meaghan smith, miserable rich, plants and animals, porlolo, robin grey, samantha crain and the midnight shivers, taken by trees, theatre fire, velcro quartet