Friday Forgot Something Important
The thing I hate the most about Satnavs is that although they do find wherever it is you’re going, but you tend to have absolutely no idea how you got there. So you are no less lost, in a sense, you just happen to be in the right place.
Well, I am getting a bit like that with my calendar. I write so much in my calendar that I tend to assume I put everything in it, which I don’t. The only problem with this is that I make no effort to memorise appointments or events anymore, assuming them to be in my calendar.
Previously, I used to just remember stuff. That wasn’t entirely failsafe, but I was generally pretty good at keeping things in my head. Now, once I write things down (or even when I don’t, but assume I have) they just vanish from my head altogether, leaving me entirely at the mercy of the computer.
And frankly, it’s unsettling. When I do forget something now I feel a bit like you do in those dreams where you’re entirely naked in a public place, or when you’re suddenly on stage, expected to give a grand performance on a musical instrument you never learned to play. Other people get those dreams, right? It’s not just me.
Umm, so it’s time for our traditional Friday de-lurking amnesty, time for you shirkers to step out of the shadows, and talk utter pish on the internet. Friday, after all, is not really for doing work, is it.
1. Are you early, late or completely punctual for appointments?
2. What is your most embarrassing memory failure?
3. What piece of technology would be like a helpless child without (‘your phone’ will be accepted, but please bear in mind it’s a pretty poor answer – not that this is supposed to be all that challenging of course, but a better answer will win you so much more respect, and let’s face it, that’s what it’s all about, eh)?
4. Which dream is the most disconcerting – the falling one, the public nudity one, the crumbling teeth one, or the on stage with no idea what to do one? Or even a different one, if you like.
5. What was the last question again?
The Mountain Goats – You, or Your Memory
Bob Dylan – I Forgot More Than You Will Ever Know
The Last Battle – Photographic Memory
Micah P. Hinson – I Still Remember
The Men They Couldn’t Hang – A Night to Remember
[audio:http://songbytoad.com/tunes/TheMenTheyCouldntHang-ANighttoRemember.mp3] More: bob dylan, last battle, men they couldn't hang, micah p hinson, mountain goats