Yup, as you know, Song, by Toad Records is five years old so I thought a brief spin through the history of the label would be in order because, well, why the fuck not. There’s quite a lot of stuff in the vaults here which has long since vanished into the mists of time, and it’s interesting to look back at how we started, in two senses.
Firstly, the roster was very obviously unrecognisable, primarily because it didn’t really exist yet. We had a couple of pals who were willing to let us try and help promote their self-recorded bits and bobs, and some folk we thought were talented and knew were unsigned, but had no idea what they would make of us suggesting we try putting out their music for them.
And secondly, there is the ambition. We started out expecting to do little more than assisting people with a self-release. We assumed we’d be working with scrappy little demos and bits of home-recorded EPs and things like that – just trying to get the bands a little bit of extra publicity which they didn’t necessarily have the time to try and achieve for themselves.
It think it’s safe to say that, looking back five years later, I absolutely never in a million years dreamed we’d end up where we are now. Nor did I have the slightest understanding of how much we’d have to achieve, just to only get this far! But Rome wasn’t built in a day, as they say. Apparently it took ages.
Direct download: Toadcast #286 – The Fivecast
Subscribe to the Toadcasts on iTunes
Subscribe to the Toadcasts on Mixcloud
01. Meursault – The Furnace (00.20)
02. Uhersky Brod – Seeing Ben Lomond (07.37)
03. Nightjar – Lady of the Calico (14.47)
04. The Savings and Loan – Swallows (18.07)
05. Jesus H. Foxx – I’m Half the Man You Were (25.57)
06. Loch Lomond – Elephants and Little Girls (33.06)
07. Cold Seeds – The Perfume of Mexican Birds (41.19)
08. Trips and Falls – And in Real Life He Wears Corduroy Pants (50.53)
09. Yusuf Azak – The Key Underground (55.15)
10. Rob St. John – Domino (1.03.30)
11. Waiters – So-S0 (1.12.31)
12. Sparrow and the Workshop – Autumn to Winter (1.19.40)
13. The Leg – A Rat’s Health (1.26.00)