This was without a shadow of a doubt the most scary level of military efficiency that anything even slightly Toad-related has ever achieved. Mumford & Sons were playing to a sold-out Queen’s Hall in the evening, so we had to have them in and out of the door within an hour and a half, and we actually bloody managed it! As the likes of the Pictish Trail, who left Toad Hall completely plastered after his session, can testify: this isn’t really what we’re good at around here.
So, not only did they go to extreme lengths to actually make time to record this, they did a fucking lovely job of it as well. If you watch the video for Untitled, embedded below, you’ll see that they rattled our floors so hard that something actually falls off the shelves behind Marcus at the end of the video. Gavin has done a lovely job of the recording and mixing, and many thanks to Dylan for the photography and Matthew for help with the filming.
As usual with the Toad Sessions, there is a full set of pictures on our Flickr page, Dylan’s own choices on his Blueback Hotrod page, freely downloadable and shareable mp3s of the session tracks below, a full podcast of the interview (with playlist at the bottom of the page), and videos of the individual songs themselves embedded below. I’ve also made a video of the whole day, with bits of interviews and excerpts from the songs, and that is embedded at the top of the page. Enjoy!
Toadcast #117 – Mumford & Sons Toad Session
Mumford & Sons – Untitled (Toad Session)
Mumford & Sons – Dance Dance Dance (Neil Young Cover) (Toad Session)
Mumford & Sons – White Blank Page (Toad Session)
Mumford & Sons – Awake My Soul (Toad Session)
01. Mumford & Sons – Untitled (Toad Session) (04.26)
02. Vampire Weekend – UR a Contra (13.29)
03. Love.Stop.Repeat – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (17.52)
04. Mumford & Sons – Dance Dance Dance (Neil Young Cover) (Toad Session) (21.54)
05. Billie Holiday – God Bless the Child (26.42)
06. Eels – In the Beginning (29.49)
07. Mumford & Sons – White Blank Page (Toad Session) (36.27)
08. My Kappa Roots – It was Rough When the Rain Came (41.19)
09. Mumford & Sons – Awake My Soul (Toad Session) (50.23)