The more I read about Johny Lamb from Thirty Pounds of Bone before this session, the more nervous I became. The internet seemed to be full of all sorts of tales of him being reclusive, antisocial and very, very hard on interviewers.
Now, the press can be a little unreliable at the best of times, and personality-based reports of this nature can vary from person to person, but it almost comical how completely different this session was to my expectations. Johny was friendly, perhaps a little shy, genuinely chatty and a lovely guy. In fact, in terms of the interview podcast I think this is probably the most interesting one we’ve ever had.
Thanks are due to Mrs. Toad for the splendid bacon sarnies, to Dylan and Fiona who took the pictures, and to Matthew who did a lot of the filming. As per usual we have the podcast below, the freely downloadable session mp3s underneath that, followed by the videos we made for all the individual songs. The tracklisting for the podcast is at the very bottom of the page. Enjoy!
Direct download: Toadcast #169 – Thirty Pounds of Bone Toad Session
Thirty Pounds of Bone – The Maritime Line (Toad Session)
Thirty Pounds of Bone – A Lesson in Talking (Toad Session)
Thirty Pounds of Bone – The Jonah Shanty (Toad Session)
Thirty Pounds of Bone – Uyeasound (Toad Session)
01. Thirty Pounds of Bone – The Maritime Line (Toad Session) (11.02)
02. Birdengine – Scarecrow and the Longpig (19.00)
03. Dad Rocks – Aroused By Hair (23.36)
04. Thirty Pounds of Bone – A Lesson in Talking (Toad Session) (37.19)
05. Le Reno Amps – You Must Remember (42.47)
06. Mary Hampton – Ballad of the Talking Dog (44.56)
07. Thirty Pounds of Bone – The Jonah Shanty (Toad Session) (57.37)
08. Diamond Family Archive – I Have Forgotten (66.16)
09. Men Diamler – Waiting for the Snow to Thaw Pt. 2 (68.22)
10. Thirty Pounds of Bone – Uyeasound (Toad Session) (82.44)