This session was recorded back in March, so once again I find myself apologising to the band for taking so long over it. I blame Beer vs. Records, Sparrow and the Workshop and the Pale Imitation Festival for taking such a lot of time and work that I ended up distracted. The same old disorganised shite as usually happens, in other words.
The Yawns emerged late last year when they released their debut album as a pay-what-you-want download to pretty much no fanfare at all. Slowly but surely, however, word seemed to spread around the internet and it turned out that a lot of people were really into the record. I was released on tape by one label, then vinyl by another and actually ended up doing better than loads of stuff people put all their time and energy into promoting.
I loved it too, of course, so I asked them to play in Edinburgh in January, and then I enjoyed the show so much a Toad Session ensued. And this is it.
Many thanks to the team once again – Gavin, Rory, Matthew and Ian who helped with the filming, Rory who took the photos, Neil who recorded it and Mrs. Toad who made AWESOME brownies! And, I suppose, to the cats, for not massively disrupting everything like they usually do. Puss-tards.
The Yawns – Diamond (Toad Session)
The Yawns – Jean Thumb (Toad Session)
The Yawns – Romeo Done (Toad Session)
The Yawns – Butterfleyes (Toad Session)
01. The Yawns – Diamond (Toad Session) (00.17)
02. Sean Armstrong – Dying in the Garden (08.50)
03. Battery Face – Cider Says (10.23)
04. The Yawns – Jean Thumb (Toad Session) (16.41)
05. Dolfinz – Yeah Right (23.51)
06. The Side Pony – Repeat and More (26.27)
07. The Yawns – Rome Done (Toad Session) (32.44)
08. Mac DeMarco – Stars Keep On Calling My Name (36.34)
09. The Clean – Getting Older (39.01)
10. The Yawns – Butterfleyes (Toad Session) (47.17)