Well if we can handle the racket of PAWS and the sheer numbers of Broken Records then fuck it, we can do Brown Brogues. In the two or three years since Mrs. Toad and I first saw these lads playing at an Irish pub in Austin at SXSW a couple of years ago they have become good pals, as well as DIY inspirations. Although totally fucking incapable of taking an interview seriously.
For this one I handled the audio a little differently. Instead of mixing everything in Logic I actually mixed it on the live recording desk and then played it back through our reel-to-reel tape machine, overloading both channels slightly, and then recording the results into my laptop. It’s the first time I’ve used the reel-to-reel, so I am still finding my way, and the results may be nasty as fuck but I really like them.
One thing which doesn’t sound so great, unfortunately, is the interview audio. The band used effects pedals on their vocal mics, which interfered rather badly with the recording of the interview, so I’ve ended up having to do the best I can with the tiny mics on the film cameras, which aren’t the best. It’s alright though – just not as nice as I would have liked it.
The crew for this one was just Nic and Rory and myself, but Mrs. Toad made the most fantastic roast lamb for us all, so I should really be crediting her as well. It really was fucking tasty!
Full interview podcast:
Session track videos
01. Brown Brogues – Baby, it’s Alright (Toad Session) (00.21)
02. Elvis Presley – If I Can Dream (08.24)
03. Harlem – Gay Human Bones (11.52)
04. Brown Brogues – Split Disc (Toad Session) (21.43)
05. Black Lips – Feeling Gay (32.15)
06. The Growlers – Gay Thoughts (36.03)
07. Brown Brogues – Shake It (Toad Session) (44.39)
08. Liars – Overachievers (52.57)
09. Oingo Boingo – Private Life (56.35)
10. Brown Brogues – AG From the Cradle (Toad Session) (1.05.36)